Two storms bring rain, snow and wind to northern Nevada and Sierra this week
Prepare for two wintry storms to pass through our region this week. The first will be a weak, quick moving storm that will produce gusty winds and just a little bit of moisture, but the second storm could cause some major impacts including very gusty winds, snowy Sierra passes with limited visibility, and even some snow down to the valley floors.
Snow will continue in the higher elevations Thursday night turning to snow overnight into Friday morning as snow levels fall down to valley floor locations by the time of the Friday morning commute. Showers will continue throughout the day on Friday with light snow in the forecast for Reno.
Above 7000': 1-2 feet of snow
Above 5500': Up to a foot of snow
Lake Level: 6 to 12 inches
Valley floor: Light snow accumulations possible
Snow will be on the fluffier side, meaning blowing snow will pose a risk for visibility. Rain and snow chances return for the Sierra and Reno on Sunday overnight into Monday. Another storm system will roll through the area on Thursday, Jan. 25.
The cold front will drop temperatures to slightly BELOW average -- that'll feel quite cold after being ABOVE average for so long! Highs will be in the upper 30s on Friday. Thursday's high was 65 degrees.
CHAIN CONTROLS (UPDATED: 10:29 p.m., 1/18/18)
I-80: From Nyack to Truckee
US 50: From Twin Bridges to Meyers
SR 88: From 3.5 miles east of Silver Lake to 5 miles west of Picketts Junction
SR 89: From 11 miles north to 16 miles north of Truckee
SR 267: From 5 miles south of Truckee to Kings Beach; ladder cable chains are prohibited
SR-28: From mile post 0.0 in Douglas County to mile post 2.8
Mt. Rose Highway (SR 431) from Tahoe Boulevard (SR 28) to Slide Mountain Highway
US 50: From miles post 9.5 to mile post 14.6 in Douglas County
Kingsbury Grade (SR 207): From miles post 0.0 in Douglas County to mile post 5.0
Washoe County will have sandbags available for residents ahead of the winter weather:
- Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Station #223, 130 Nectar St., Lemmon Valley
- Lemmon Drive and Pompe Way intersection, Lemmon Valley
- Blue Heron Circle and Warrior Lane intersection, Belli Ranch
- Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Station #30, 3905 Old Hwy 395, Washoe Valley
- Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Station #16, 1240 Eastlake Blvd, Washoe Valley
- Washoe County Operations Yard, 3101 Longley Lane, Reno
- Highland Ranch Parkway, one mile west of Pyramid Hwy, Sparks
- Andrew Lane and Paddlewheel Lane intersection, Pleasant Valley