Texas teen paralyzed after powderpuff cheerleading stunt went wrong
Now, the parents of Roman Caldera Jr. are asking for the school district to pay for his medical bills.
Caldera's parents say their son is still in a hospital bed and doesn't know he is paralyzed. His father doesn't know how to tell him.
"It's hard, I can't even put it into words," Caldera Sr. said.
The incident happened during cheer practice for the high school's fundraiser powderpuff football game. During that time, their Caldera was thrown up in the air and accidentally dropped on the way down.
The practice was permitted during school hours, to prepare for the game between juniors and seniors.
Roman Caldera Sr. said that his son was known firing up the crowds during games.
He would stand "at the bottom of the bleachers hyping up the whole crowd," Caldera's father said .
But Caldera's father says the school hasn't taken responsibility for the accident. Officials from South San Antonio High School have not commented about whether they will help pay the teen's medical bills.
However, district officials did say the accident happened after school hours and not during a school-sponsored event.
South San Antonio Independent School District said they are continuing to investigate the incident. They told us they have constant communication with Roman's family and will support the Roman Caldera as much as they can.
"The district is saddened that this unfortunate incident occurred," in a statement.
"I'm frustrated and it hasn't sunken in yet," Caldera Sr. said.
The football players of the high school's football team recently honored Roman by wearing his name on the back of their helmets.