WCSO needs volunteers to help 'sink porch pirates' during holiday season
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office detectives are asking for volunteers from the unincorporated areas of Washoe County to help with a sting operation targeting thieves who attempt to steal packages left at residential doorways.
According to the sheriff's office, the operation is scheduled for areas throughout the county over the next several weeks due to the typically high amount of package deliveries during the holidays.
Residents interested in volunteering their porches for this operation are asked to contact Detective Josh Jenkins at (775) 857-8754, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The overall goal of the operation is to reduce package thefts during this holiday season.
Other steps residents can take to help prevent package theft include:
- Track packages and try to be home when they arrive, or ask a trusted neighbor or friend to pick up the package
- Have packages delivered to your workplace, if possible
- Ask the delivery company to require a signature before leaving
- Have the package held at the delivery company for pickup
- Install security cameras at your home
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement
For additional holiday safety tips, visit the Staying Safe page on WashoeSheriff.com.