22,000-acre MM 155 Fire in Pershing County caused by cigarette butt

Voluntary evacuations issued for fire burning east of Winnemucca (MGN Online)

The MM 155 Fire burning southwest of Winnemucca was caused by a cigarette butt, according to the Great Basin 5 incident commander.

Officials say the 22,361-acre fire is 97 percent contained as of Saturday morning.

After successfully extinguishing hotspots along the fire perimeter, officials say firefighters are focused on patrolling the areas to ensure the last remaining heat safely burns out.

About 150 structures were potentially threatened last Saturday, July 15, due to the MM 155 fire burning in the East Range of Pershing County, and voluntary evacuations were advised.

A spokesperson for the BLM said the evacuations were for the following boundaries: south boundary is the Jupiter Mine, north boundary is Logan Road, west boundary is Dun Glen and east boundary is Vandiest Road.

The Pershing County Sheriff was advising that people leave the area due to the potential threat of danger.

Firefighters focused on keeping the fire south of Rose Creek Mountain to protect the Rose Creek community, according to the BLM.

The MM155 Fire started at 2:20 p.m. Friday, July 14, near Mill City.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off