Veterans Day 2016 will be observed on Friday, Nov. 11. The holiday honors military veterans who have served the United States.
There are several events happening around northern Nevada to commemorate the holiday.
If you know of an event that is not listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The City of Reno Veterans Day Parade starts with an opening ceremony at 11:11 a.m. at the Virginia Street Bridge. The parade begins at 11:20 a.m. and heads north on Virginia Street. This year's theme is "Honoring Middle East Veterans - War on Terrorism."
- Lotus Radio and Internet Auto Rent & Sales will hold a radiothon to raise funds for the Northern Nevada Veterans Resource Center on Nov. 11.
Participating stations are KDOT 104.5, KOZZ 105.7, KUUB 94.5 and KTXH 100.1. Listeners can call (844) 486-4483 to make a donation.
- Veterans Guest House will host several events on Nov. 11 that are open to the public. A special service starts at 8 a.m. to release balloons in honor of veterans affected by Agent Orange.
An open house barbecue starts at 1 p.m. Walgreens will also provide free flu shots.
- Famous Dave's Reno on Kietzke Lane will host a free barbecue salute and Tip-a-Vet event on Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Veterans Guest House will collect donations and tips. A free meal is also offered for those who present valid military ID.
- The Atlantis Casino will give veterans one free breakfast or lunch at Toucan Charlie's from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Veterans Memorial Stem Academy will hold a flag raising ceremony at its campus on 1200 Locust St. The event starts at 9:05 a.m., and a number of veterans are expected to attend.
- The Reno-Sparks Indian Colony will recognize Native service members with a community dinner at 6 p.m. at the Colony gymnasium. Edward Reina, tribal administrator and former chief of tribal police, will be the keynote speaker. He served two years in the U.S. Army and was honorably discharged as a staff sergeant.
- RTC will offer free rides on Friday, Nov. 11, in honor of all veterans and their families. Transit services are operating on a regular schedule.
- Marked Studios in Reno will be offering free tattoo day. There are no appointments, walk-in only. Veterans must present Honorable DD-214 and/or Retired Military ID.
- Squeeze In will offer veterans a free meal and beverage, up to $15, on Friday, Nov. 11, at breakfast and lunch
- Texas Roadhouse on Damonte Ranch Parkway will offer a special lunch for veterans and active military from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Three Northern Nevada Sport Clips locations will offer free haircuts to active duty service members and veterans with valid proof of service on Friday.