Fire tears through funeral home in Sparks

Sparks firefighters battle a blaze at Walton's Funeral Home on Friday, Sept. 23, 2016 (Sinclair Broadcast Group)

Firefighters battled a fire at a funeral home near the intersection of Oddie Boulevard and El Rancho Drive in Sparks on Friday.

Crews responded to Walton's Funeral Home and Cremation Center in the 1700 block of Sullivan Lane at about 3:55 p.m.

When they arrived, firefighters saw there was fire on the outside of the building and moving into the eaves, according to a news release from Battalion Chief James Reid with the Sparks Fire Department. They also learned that everyone was able to make it out of the building.

REMSA paramedics evaluated one civilian, Reid stated. No firefighters were injured.

Chemicals inside the building may have been making firefighting efforts more time-intensive, police said.

Officials said 27 personnel from Sparks Fire and 16 personnel from the Reno Fire Department helped with the firefight. They added that Reno Fire and Storey County also provided engines to cover calls within the city of Sparks during the incident.

Reid said the building is a total loss. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Funeral home manager Rick Noel said the owner has not decided yet whether to rebuild.

Noel said the fire did not burn near the remains of two bodies that were inside at the time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off