Placer County health officials confirm death of Tahoe resident from hantavirus

Tahoe resident dies from hantavirus.

Placer County health officials have confirmed that the recent death of a Tahoe resident is due to hantavirus.

Hantavirus can be carried by rodents in their urine, saliva, and droppings.

Health officials do not believe that the public is at risk of infection. The virus cannot be transmitted from person to person.

People contract it by breathing contaminated air with the virus from contact with rodent droppings or nesting material.

Symptoms usually appear two to eight weeks after contact, but in some cases appear in as little as one week upon exposure.

The flu, fever, abdominal pain, and back and joint pain are some of the symptoms, but the main one is difficulty breathing and fluid built-up in the lungs.

Click here to learn about activities that increase your chances of getting infected with hantavirus.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending