CARSON CITY, Nev. -- Sheriff's officials say they have a suspect in custody who they believe is responsible for four recent homicides in Gardnerville and South Reno.
“We feel strongly that we have the man responsible for this," said Douglas County Sheriff Dan Coverley.
Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam says 19-year-old Wilber Ernesto Martinez-Guzman was taken into custody Saturday, January 19.
Balaam made the announcement during a joint press conference with the Douglas County Sheriff and Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks, among others.
Sheriff's officials say Martinez-Guzman is being held at the Carson City Detention Center on stolen property and immigration charges.
Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong points to immigration charges as a reason why Martinez-Guzman was taken into custody.
"By mid-afternoon [Saturday], immigration officers verified that Martinez-Guzman, who had been in the Carson City area for approximately one year, was likely in the United States illegally and was detainable," said Sheriff Furlong.
Furlong also said that Martinez-Guzman was arrested at the 1200 block of South Carson Street at around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks says they will be seeking arrest warrants for murder in the coming days.
This is a developing story, stay with us to learn more.