Doctor tied to overdose of Richard West Jr. no longer employed at jail
There are new developments in the high profile federal drug case involving nine people including Dr. Robert Rand and Richard West Jr.
Court documents filed on Friday, June 3, 2016 have been unsealed. They reveal Dr. Mark Hahn is no longer working at the Washoe County Jail.
The circumstances behind Hahn's departure are not being revealed, but this comes after a recent emergency hearing before a federal Magistrate where testimony showed Richard West Jr. received a methadone overdose at the direction of Dr. Hahn and under Hahn's care at the jail.
Sheriff Chuck Allen said that since Hahn's departure, another physician has been assigned to the jail's infirmary until a permanent replacement is named.
These new court documents also reveal upon Hahn's departure, the U.S. Marshals Service sought to move West out of the Washoe County Jail and into another facility. That request was denied by Magistrate William Cobb, although the reasons are not spelled out in the documents.
Following this new information, News 4 has learned West's attorney, David Houston, is seeking another emergency hearing regarding West's health. Houston has been arguing West suffers from a debilitating and degenerative condition the jail is not equipped to handle.
Because of these health concerns, U.S. District Court Judge Miranda Du issued a court order directing the jail's physician to coordinate care with West's personal physician on the outside.
Houston has said this coordinated care did not occur prior to West's hospitalization and methadone overdose. It is not clear if coordination of care has occurred since Hahn's departure.
Cobb has noted West has been deemed a flight risk and a danger to the community. He has also noted that also based on the seriousness of the charges West should remain in jail until his trial.
As for the emergency hearing to address this latest twist and concerns over West's health, so far, no date on that hearing has been set.