Connecting Sparks to south Reno: SouthEast Connector open to all on traffic on July 6
Those commuting from Sparks to south Reno or vise versa will soon have a much quicker route.
The SouthEast Connector, also known as Veterans Parkway, will open to all traffic on Friday, July 6 at 5:30 p.m.
The $300-million voter approved project creates connectivity between south Reno and Sparks and also includes environmental, recreational and safety enhancements.
The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) installed 13 new bridges including a pair over the Truckee River, which are now the longest bridges in the community.
RTC will host a pre-grand opening community road preview of the SouthEast Connector with a fun run, bike, and walk event on Saturday, June 30 from 8 a.m. to noon.
Event-goers are encouraged to enter the event from the Sparks Boulevard/Greg Street intersection, the official entry point for the event. All entrances will be open including the Pembroke Drive/Veterans Parkway intersection, the Mira Loma Drive/Veterans Parkway intersection, and the South Meadows Parkway/Veterans Parkway intersection.
The southbound lanes and the multi-use path will be open for the public for running, biking, and walking. The northbound lanes will be reserved for shuttle service only -- no foot traffic will be allowed for safety purposes.
The road remains closed to vehicle traffic at this time, but people who want to see the road by vehicle before it's open to the public can use RTC's shuttle service on its new, all-electric bus.
RTC shuttle service will run the length of the SouthEast Connector from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday. The shuttle will make stops along the way at each intersection so people can get on and off. The shuttle will also stop at parking locations at the Outlets at Legends and Depoali Middle School in south Reno.
Parking Areas and Park & Walk Locations:
- The Outlets at Legends (RTC shuttle service). Park in the lots behind SCHEELS near Olive Garden. Shuttle stop will be the existing blue bus stop number 1999 directly across the street from Olive Garden on George Ferris Drive.
- Depoali Middle School at 9300 Wilbur May Parkway in Reno (RTC shuttle service)
- Parking lot located adjacent to the southeast corner of the SouthEast Connector at Greg St./Sparks Blvd. intersection, across the street from the Alamo (park & walk) This parking lot closes at noon.
- Hidden Valley Elementary at 2115 Alphabet Dr. in Reno (park & walk)
- Rosewood Lakes Golf Course parking lot at 6800 Pembroke Drive (park & walk). This parking lot closes at noon.