Reno police interview 80 witnesses to officer-involved shooting at Hug High School
RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) —
Reno Police have interviewed more than 80 people who witnessed the officer-involved shooting at Hug High school last week, a spokesman said, and many interviews still remain.
Meanwhile, the attorney for the family of the teenager shot said the 14-year-old is still in the hospital in a medically-induced coma. Attorney David Houston said it's unclear if the boy will have permanent damage following a stroke, and that doctors told the family they will know more in a day or two.
Reno Police Chief Jason Soto said two students had an altercation on campus on Dec. 7, 2016. Several videos posted on social media show the teenager with two large knives, waving them just feet from other students. during a lunch break.
Police said the Washoe County School District police officer told him to drop the weapons before firing one shot at the teen.
Students' video on social media showed the teen drop to the ground after he was shot, holding onto his upper body.
Reno Police Spokesman Tim Broadway told News 4 on Monday that most of the 80 people interviewed by police are students. He said many more still have to be interviewed. Broadway could not confirm whether charges would be filed against the teen but he said more information would be released Tuesday or Wednesday.
Washoe County Public Schools Spokeswoman Victoria Campbell said extra counselors were on campus Monday to provide support to students and staff. The Reno Police Victim Services Unit was also providing services to students who witnessed the Hug High School shooting and were also present for the school shooting at Sparks Middle School in 2013.