MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Investigation nearly complete 1 year after knife-wielding boy gets shot at Hug High School

Report of shots fired at Hug High School

One year after a knife-wielding teen was shot by a school police officer at Hug High School, Reno Police say the investigation into the shooting is nearly complete.

Investigators have been actively working with the District Attorney's office since the Dec. 7, 2016 shooting, according to Lt. Zack Thew with the Reno Police Department.

Lt. Thew says Reno Police have conducted more than a hundred interviews with investigators, responding officers and witnesses and plan to hand over their final report to the District Attorney's office this week.

The District Attorney's office will have the final determination on all of the data gathered, according to Thew.

Reno attorney David Houston was previously representing the 14-year-old who was shot. Houston's office declined to confirm whether or not they were still representing the teen on the one year anniversary.

News 4 also reached out to the Washoe County School District to learn about possible policy changes at the school district in the wake of the shooting. The school district declined to comment saying "they don't have any new information."

Background:

The shooting happened at about 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 7, 2016 at Hug High School.

Reno Police Chief Jason Soto said two students became involved in an altercation on campus. At some point, a 14-year-old male armed himself with at least one knife.

A district officer was in the area and gave verbal commands to the student to drop the knife, Soto said. He did not follow those commands, and the officer shot him.

The officer later performed first-aid, and the student was treated for a gunshot wound at a local hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.

During his recovery, the student suffered a stroke and was placed in a medically induced coma. An update on the teen's condition is not currently available.


Trending