MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Northern Nevada leaders, locals respond to Syrian air strikes

The Damascus sky lights up missile fire as the U.S. launches an attack on Syria targeting different parts of the capital early Saturday, April 14, 2018. Syria's capital has been rocked by loud explosions that lit up the sky with heavy smoke as U.S. President Donald Trump announced airstrikes in retaliation for the country's alleged use of chemical weapons. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)

People across northern Nevada are reacting after President Trump announced Friday night that the United States, France and Britain had launched military strikes to punish Syrian President Bashar Assad for the alleged chemical weapons use and to prevent him from doing it again.

Explosions lit up the skies over Damascus, the Syrian capital, as Trump spoke at the White House.

It was not immediately clear whether Trump meant the allied military operation would extend beyond an initial round of missile strikes.

"The evil and the despicable attack left mothers and fathers, infants and children, thrashing in pain and gasping for air. These are not the actions of a man; they are crimes of a monster instead," Trump said.

News 4's Kristen Edwards spoke with locals in downtown Reno to get their reactions to the strike:

Nevada Republic Senator Dean Heller released the following statement regarding the regime's chemical weapons attack:

The Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons that led to the murder of dozens of Syrians – many of them children – is barbaric and a clear violation of international law,” said Heller. “The Administration’s response sent a clear message to the Assad regime and its allies: America will not tolerate a chemical attack on innocent civilians. I will continue to closely monitor the situation, and I will rely on our military experts to provide more information as it develops.

Statement from democratic Senate-hopeful Jacky Rosen:

This forceful and targeted response sends a powerful signal, and now the Administration must work with Congress to develop a coherent and effective long-term plan to put an end to the conflict in Syria. The Syrian people have suffered at the hands of a cruel dictator for years, and this horrific use of chemical weapons has further devastated an already volatile region in the Middle East. As this situation unfolds, I am in touch with the Pentagon, our military commanders at Creech and Nellis, and my colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee.

Defense Secretary James Mattis says the U.S. has no reports of suffering any losses during the initial airstrikes on Syria Friday.

Mattis says "right now this is a one-time shot" but is not ruling out further attacks. President Donald Trump had said earlier that the campaign against the regime of Bashar Assad could be "sustained."

The Secretary of Defense says the Pentagon will provide more information on the strikes on Saturday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending