Anthem announces complete withdrawal from Nevada's health care exchange in 2018
CARSON CITY, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) —
After initially pulling out of 14 rural Nevada counties, Anthem has announced they are completely withdrawing from the state's health care exchange.
Insurance Commissioner Barbara Richardson issued the following statement in response to a request by Anthem under Nevada Revised Statue 679B.190(5)(b) regarding the Anthem's announcement:
“On July 28, 2017, Anthem submitted a Notice of Intent to withdraw from the Silver State Exchange for Plan Year 2018. As such, Anthem will no longer have a presence in Nevada’s individual health market with the exception of catastrophic plans which can only be purchased off the Exchange throughout the state. These plans restrict availability to consumers under 30 years old or with a low income” states Commissioner Barbara Richardson.
Prior to this notice, Anthem had submitted filings to offer Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) in Clark, Washoe and Nye counties. Based on the rate submissions the Division of Insurance received from Anthem, they proposed an average rate increase of 62 percent. This proposed rate increase did not reflect the potential elimination of payments to insurance carriers for Cost Share Reductions (CSRs). Loss of the Cost Sharing Reduction payments has the potential to increase further rates in the Nevada market.
This announcement follows a notice earlier last month when Anthem withdrew from the Silver State Exchange in 14 counties leaving consumers in those counties without an option on the Exchange for Plan Year 2018.
“While the Division is disappointed in Anthem’s latest decision regarding its withdrawals, we believed that it was in the interest of the Nevada public to let consumers know about the Anthem decision as soon as possible” declared Commissioner Richardson. “The Division is continuing to work with our state partners on attracting an insurance carrier to serve the 14 bare counties and to support the stability of the market for those insurance carriers who remain.
We are also working with our state partners on a plan to help consumers shop the Exchange market at open enrollment for the 2018 Plan Year and remain optimistic that there will be coverage for consumers on the Exchange throughout the state.”
Residents in 14 rural Nevada counties are left with zero options for insurance providers and residents in Washoe, Clark and Nye counties are left with just two options: Health Plan of Nevada and Silver State Health Plan, Inc.
Gov. Brian Sandoval said in a statement he is "frustrated and disappointed with Anthem's surprise and abrupt decision," adding that his office is in contact with the two remaining providers.
"These efforts include working to find a solution for the individuals and families in potential so-called 'bare counties,'" Sandoval said in his statement.