News 4 On Your Side: Charges filed in unlicensed botox case

      RENO & LAS VEGAS, Nev. (KRNV & - It has been more than two years since Sandra Rennert, who also goes by the last name Sandra Bledsoe, was arrested in Las Vegas for practicing medicine without a license. On Monday, December 16th, 2013 her attorney appeared on her behalf in Clark County Justice Court. Rennert is charged with three felonies for allegedly injecting people with botox illegally.

      Doug Cooper is the executive director of the Nevada Board of Medical Examiners told News 4 On Your Side, "It's been a joint operation. We're glad to see it come to fruition."

      News 4's On Your Side Team got involved when viewers came to us concerned that Rennert, who is not licensed, was still injecting people in Reno after her arrest in Las Vegas in September of 2011. During our undercover investigation back in May, Sandra told our producer she would give her a botox shot, not in a medical office, but right out of her living room in south Reno. "Does it hurt ?" our producer asked. "Here, it's just a little 31 gauge needle," Sandra explained at the time.

      Cooper called it a very dangerous situation. "To me its akin to attempted murder," he said.

      Despite our report and at least one complaint filed with Reno Police, RPD tells us they are still investigating, and waiting for more victims to come forward.

      "The legal wheels are the some of the slowest known to man. They don't alway roll 'round," Cooper said. That certainly seemed to be the case in Las Vegas where police and the district attorney's office repeatedly blamed each other when News 4 questioned why no charges had been filed there. The case seemed to have slipped through the cracks, until now.

      "I'm not saying this just because you're in the room. However your inquiry did motivate and speed up a little bit the process. I'm sure it did," Cooper explained. He says he hopes this case will help raise awareness about the dangers of unlicensed medical care and prevent others from becoming victims.

      News 4 has tried to contact Sandra Rennert but she has not returned our calls or text messages. The next step in this case will be a preliminary hearing which has been scheduled for March 31st in Las Vegas.